Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, everyone! All of Capital Metro joins me in wishing you a happy and prosperous 2009.

Like a lot of people, I tend to become introspective at the end of each year, analyzing all I did and didn't accomplish during the previous year. It'd be interesting to get a feel for Capital Metro's 2008--like a top ten list of big events that shaped transportation in Austin. Off the top of my head I can name a few. Perhaps you can help me flesh it out.

In no particular order:

* We opened a brand new (and award-winning) facility, the South Congress Transit Center.

* Four dollar gasoline sent ridership through the roof.

* STRIKE!

* We increased Capital Metro's base fare for the first time in our history.

* We completed the lion's share of work to bring Capital MetroRail to fruition and set a firm start-up date.

* Major changes were proposed to the MetroAccess program.

What else would you add to the list? What is your hope for Capital Metro in 2009?